Book Courtship Tag


I was tagged over on my bookstagram by the lovely @pauweredbyfaith for this tag, and I've been looking forward to it literally ever since! It's quite an old tag, and has been doing the round on Booktube for years (which is where I first saw it!) but I always liked the questions, so I'm really glad I've finally got a reason to answer them here!


Phase 1 - Initial Attraction: A book you bought because of the cover

I'm not the kind of reader that'll be easily swayed by a beautiful book with a lacklustre blurb, so there aren't that many books I've purchased mainly because of their covers. That being said, I didn't know much about my new-ish copy of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman when I bought it, and that was mainly because of the beautiful illustrations on the cover as well as throughout the book itself, done by my favourite illustrator Chris Riddell, so that occasion is probably the closest I've come to buying a book purely because of its appearance. 


Phase 2 - First Impressions: A book you got because of the summary

This one also seemed like a bit of hard question for me to answer, because I buy 99.9% of my books because of their summary or blurb - because if I don't know what the book's about, why should waste money risking if I'll like it or not? So because I could answer this question with almost any book on my shelves, I'm going to give a quick shoutout to Touch by Claire North for having one of the coolest-sounding blurbs ever: "Kepler is like you, but not like you. With a simple touch, Kepler can move into any body, live any life - for a moment, a day, or for years. And your life could be next." 


Phase 3 - Sweet Talk: A book with great writing

I don't normally notice the writing in books - unless of course it's truly awful and therefore impossible to ignore - so when I do have a moment of realisation that a book is written particularly beautifully, it's a special occasion. So for this question I'm picking All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, because it was so wonderfully written that I remember having several little moments of "oh wow, that is some great writing" all the way through the book. 


Phase 4 - First Date: A first book that made you want to pick up the rest of the series

Cinder by Marissa Meyer, though I guess this could be said of any series that I've continued with past the first book. Cinder is probably my favourite book in the Lunar Chronicles, because Cinder herself is by far my favourite character! So I read the other three books not to meet all the "fun" characters each one would introduce, but to follow Cinder's adventures, and see how the story would end for her.


Phase 5 - Late Night Phone Calls: A book that kept you up all night

For this one I'm going old school and saying Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling, because when it came out I was too young to be allowed to go to the midnight release, but my parents arranged for me to wake up with a copy of it by my bed anyway! I spent the entire day reading it, and finished it much later on that very night!


Phase 6 - Always on my mind: A book you could not stop thinking about

I've already endlessly waxed poetical about how much I loved Let Them Eat Chaos by Kate Tempest, but it's definitely a book that stuck around in my mind for a long while after I'd put it down. It was such an incredibly forceful reading experience that I really wasn't expecting (I usually don't get on well at all with most poetry), but it was also an emotional roller coaster on top of that, and even made me cry - a rare feat for any book! It made me think a lot about people and our planet and humanity itself, and I'm aware of how pretentious that makes me sound, but it really did have that effect on me, and it's something I don't think I'll ever be able to forget. 


Phase 7 - Getting physical: A book that you love the way it feels

Most of my books don't "feel" particularly special, but then there's the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series by Michelle Paver, whose books have this cool slightly textured feel to them (both the paperbacks and hardbacks!) that I just adore. Plus there's also Through the Woods by Emily Carroll, which is a wonderful graphic novel I would highly recommend, which has this incredible cover that's both glossy AND textured at the same time!


Phase 8 - Meeting the parents: A book you would always recommend 

The Mortal Engines Quartet by Philip Reeve is one of my ALL TIME favourite series, and one I will offer up as a book recommendation before the person asking has even finished their sentence. What's not to love? Incredible characters, heartbreaking twists and turns, and cities that move around and eat each other. Even just writing this is making me feel a strong urge to reread it (again). 


Phase 9 - Thinking about the future: A book or series you know you'll reread many times in the future

It's cliché, but I'm going with the Harry Potter series on this one. I've been in a HUGE Harry Potter mood recently, having seen The Cursed Child play (for the second time!) and going to King's Cross on the 1st September for the actual "Nineteen Years Later" epilogue scene - and having all my Harry Potter love reignited in the process!






1 comment:

  1. The only book you've mentioned that I've read is Harry Potter. I'll definitely have to check some of these out!

    I've nominated you for the Mystery Blogger Award tag!
    https://booksbeautybarks.com/2017/09/11/mystery-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete