Best Book Covers | Part III

I've already done a Part I and Part II of my favourite book covers of all time, so now it's time for some more! These are always such fun posts to write, and it's actually a topic I could go on and on about for many more posts, but without further ado, here are my next five favourite covers:



Larklight by Philip Reeve

I think it'd definitely true that children's books have waaaay cooler covers than most adult books, and Larklight is definitely no exception! I love this cover because it's just a riot of  colour and fun. A flying ship! Space pigs! Tentacled creatures and a giant crab! Stars and space and St Paul's in the background - and our intrepid adventurers dead centre. This is a pretty good indication of what the actual book's about; it's a mix of interstellar swashbuckling and a steampunk-esque Victorian period drama. Philip Reeve's one of my favourite authors, and this book was really good, but I've never actually continued with the series past this one - something I will have to rectify the moment I get my hands on the next book! But for now, Larklight alone gets pride of place on my shelves.




The Humans by Matt Haig 

This cover is just beautiful. The design is so simple, and actually the more I look at the star and moon design the weirder it becomes, but what I love so much about this cover are the colours. The green-turquoise-blue fade is gorgeous, and the simple silhouette of the dog and fence are so eye-catching and striking that I was getting good vibes from the book before I ever picked it up (I then went on to love it, so I can definitely say that the cover is a fair representation of the contents too). The Humans tells the story of an alien sent to Earth to replace a mathematician whose latest discovery must never become public knowledge. It's a study of humanity from the perspective of an outsider in every sense of the word - and I'm well aware of how uninteresting that sounds, but this book was actually AMAZING.  





Rumors by Anna Godberson 

This wouldn't really be a collection of my favourite book covers without an obligatory woman-in-a-beautiful-flowing-dress design, and Rumors is the perfect example of this. It's the second of the four book "Luxe" series that follows four different protagonists in a Gossip Girl-esque version of New York at the turn of the century, and even though I don't think it's ever been officially confirmed, I always liked to think that the models on each of the four books represented a different main character. According to my internal logic then, this second book shows Diana Holland, who's rebellious enough in the books to pull of this gorgeous red dress. I think my love of covers such as this comes from a deep-seated desire to dress like a princess, and if lusting over these books is the closest I ever come to achieving that dream, I think I'll be satisfied!




Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke 

Although I have the first two books in this trilogy as paperbacks, I own the beautiful hardback edition of Inkdeath, and it's a decision I've never once regretted! This novel continues the story of the first two books, so I can't say much about its plot without spoiling anything, but know that it was a hugely satisfying crescendo of a book, and I loved how most of the plot points were wrapped up, so it's even more satisfying that such a great book has such an amazing cover! Every single detail of this cover is beautiful, from the golden "binding", to the tiny silver unicorn, to the blood-red moth, but my favourite park can only be seen if you look a little closer. If you do, you can see that tiny skull designs are incorporated into the patterns, all to fit in with the title, and when I first got this book I thought this was the coolest thing ever. 




An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield 

This cover is just cool. A skateboarding astronaut floating in space? Yes please. The book was good, but its cover is still my favourite aspect of it! From reading the book, I learnt that Chris Hadfield is just one cool guy, and so I think the style of the cover perfectly reflects his quite laid back but also intensely driven personality. This book cover actually won my "Best Book Cover Award" in my own little 2016 book awards (you read that post here) against some stiff competition - so I think that shows much I like this cover!











No comments:

Post a Comment