Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag


This tag was created by ReadLikeWildfire and Earl Grey Books on Youtube, and even though no-one tagged me on my bookstagram to do it, I wanted to give it a go anyway! Since we're now in July, we're definitely over halfway through the year, and this tag is designed to help you look over your reading in the past six months. I've only read ten books so far this year, so I'm hoping my answers won't be too repetitive!


1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2017
Nimona by Noelle Stevenson. I feel nothing but intense love towards this book. 

2. Best sequel you’ve read so far in 2017
Even though it was a reread, this one has to be A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas because it's definitely my favourite of the trilogy - even though I've since also read the following book A Court of Wings and Ruin. I feel like ACOMAF is most people's favourite, and I really enjoyed it last year, so I gave it a (not so quick) reread a few months ago to help me get out of a reading slump.

3. New release you haven’t read yet, but want to
A Conjuring of Light by VE Schwab. It’s already on my shelves because I bought this as soon as it came out (well, technically the day after it came out because Foyles couldn’t seem to grasp the concept that a “release” day is when the book is actually released to shelves and not just the day it’s released from the warehouse to be driven to the shop to be put on shelves the next day). So now I’m just waiting for the right mood to hit me, because much as I’d love to read it I know I have to be in the perfect mood for it, otherwise I won’t enjoy it as much as I know I will!

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year
I don't have a specific book in mind for this question because to be honest I don't keep that on top of new releases, unless it's from one of my all time absolute favourite authors.

5. Biggest disappointment
A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine, because I really liked the other book of hers that I’ve read (The Chimney Sweeper’s Boy) but this one really fell short. I hated all the characters, and the reveal at the end of the book was really underwhelming, especially because I thought I’d guessed something else was going to happen instead, which actually would’ve made a much better twist!

6. Biggest surprise
Let Them Eat Chaos by Kate Tempest. This is probably the first poetry I’ve ever read for pleasure, and IT. WAS. AMAZING. The writing was so beautiful and powerful that it actually made me cry.

7. Favourite new author (debut or new to you)
Kate Tempest again, simply because her writing blew me away. I had absolutely no idea I would love her poetry as much as I did, and now I've experienced it once I NEED to get my hands on some more of it. 

8. Newest fictional crush
I don’t really get crushes on fictional characters, but I’ll give an honourable mention to Rhysand from the ACOTAR series, purely based on his appearance in ACOMAF. 

9. Newest favourite character
Nimona herself. I don't quite know what expectations I had for her character before I started reading, but she just exceeded all of them, and in doing so made her graphic novel one of my favourites of all time. 

10. Book that made you cry
Like I said before, Let Them Eat Chaos by Kate Tempest made me cry like a baby, but my other five star read Nimona also made me cry – but this time it was because I was sad it was over. It was so perfectly constructed that really the only way I can describe it is to say it was like a perfect film condensed onto pages. And it had such a perfectly bittersweet ending that I couldn’t help but tear up.

11. Book that made you happy
The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies by Cicely Mary Barker. Not because the poems are particular good (because most of them are definitely not) but because it was such a fun and nostalgic read that I couldn’t help but smile.

12. Favourite book to film adaptation you saw this year
I haven’t read the original book, but I saw and loved Hidden Figures. 

13. Favourite review you’ve written this year
Probably my April wrap up where I talked about my incredible love for Let Them Eat Chaos and Noelle, which are so far my only 5 star reads of 2017, and because I read them back to back in April, that wrap up contains a lot of my love for them both.

14. Most beautiful book you’ve bought (or received) so far this year
Definitely my copy of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I’d seen it in shops so often that I knew it was just begging for me to buy it. I’d never read any of his books before, so it wasn’t the fact that I was a huge fan of the author that made me so drawn to it, but that it has the most amazing illustrations all the way through by Chris Riddell, who is only MY FAVOURITE ILLUSTRATOR OF ALL TIME. I follow him on Instagram and the man is a machine, doing so many sketches each day which are ALL amazing.

15. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
Literally so many. The various titles floating around the top of my TBR include The Lies of Locke Lamora, The Secret History, Empire of Storms, Arcadia, and A Conjuring of Light.



No comments:

Post a Comment