22 June 2017

Reader Problems Book Tag


Over on my bookstagram I was tagged by the lovely @noteworthy_novels to do this tag, which I have absolutely loved ever since I saw it floating around on Instagram, so I was so glad to be tagged!


1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?
Sometimes I have a pretty good idea of what I’ll read next (at the moment I’m leaning towards The Ocean at the End of the Lane or The Lies of Locke Lamora as my next book), but even if I have no idea, usually just standing in front of my shelves and looking over my TBR books will make one of them stand out to me. But honestly if I actually had 20,000 books on my TBR it would send me into a full on spiral of panic.

2. You're halfway through a book and you're just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?
I hate reading books I don’t like (obviously) but I also hate not knowing how they finish, so I would skim read the last few chapters so I get closure of knowing the end of the story without the agony of forcing myself to make it all the way there through honest means. Often if I dislike a book I’ll discover that the ending is just as bad, which just reinforces my decision to give up on it (which is EXACTLY what happened with The Invisible Library). 

3. The end of the year is coming and you're so close, but so far away from your Goodreads reading challenge. Do you try to catch up and how?
I’m definitely getting better at not pressuring myself to read if I don’t want to – which is why I’ve hardly read any books yet this year! – so I would probably not freak out about this. That being said, I might also try and nick some quick graphic novels off my sister if I felt like it. 

4. The covers of a series you love DO NOT MATCH. How do you cope?
I’m actually pretty unbothered by books in a series not matching, I already own plenty like this. My copies of the Mortal Engines Quartet all have the same style covers, but randomly the spine of the second book is completely different to the others – and I bought them all at the same time! Similarly, my three Lionboy books are COMPLETELY different. The first is a paperback of the original design, the second is a hardback but of the same style, and the final book is another paperback but with a totally different style. 

5. Everyone and their mother loves a book you really don't like. Who do bond with over shared feelings?
I guess I would just vent about said book when I write my wrap up for the month on this blog? But I’d also probably have already my family about how much I hated it. 

6. You're reading a book and you are about to start crying in public. How do you deal?
Accept that this isn’t the time or place to be reading this book, and just put it away and try to will my tears back into my eyeballs. But please note that I don't always follow my own advice (see my experience of reading All The Light We Cannot See where I basically bawled in silence for the entirety of a London-Bristol train journey).

7. A sequel of a book you loved just came out, but you've forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads?
I usually search for reviews for the first book online, and if I still don’t remember, I’ll flip through the last section of the book so I remind myself how it ended, and how excited I was to get my hands on the sequel!

8. You do not want anyone, ANYONE, borrowing your books. How do you politely tell people nope when they ask?
I like to think I’m quite generous with lending out books, it’s just that people don’t actually ask all that often! But if I had to refuse, I’d say that I’ve had bad experiences with lending books in the past (they were never returned, or if they were they were covered in chocolate or something) and that because of this I decreed that I’d never lend out any books again. 

9. Reading ADD. You've picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over your reading slump?
As long as I’m consuming stories of some kind, I’m happy, be it through books or tv and film. So if I’m aware I’m in a reading slump I'll compensate by watching my favourite series instead. It also sometimes helps to reread some of my old favourites as a kind of palate cleanser that I know I'll enjoy.

10. There are so many new books coming out that you're dying to read! How many of them do you actually buy?
Probably … none? I’m actually pretty good at not buying too many new releases! (usually, and unless it’s one of my favourite authors whose books I’m sure I’ll love, eg. VE Schwab) Plus there’s the fact that I have a huuuuuge TBR pile already that I’m supposed to be taking away from, not adding to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment