1 January 2017

December 2016 Wrap Up

Soooo in this month I only read one book. Just one. And it was a graphic novel, so it didn't take very long to read at all. But it was actually a great story that I really enjoyed, and it meant I bumped up my reading total from my goal of 40 to 41 books in total this year. So now I can say that I didn't just achieve my goal, I have actually surpassed it.

41. The One Hundred Nights of Hero - Isabel Greenberg 

In the Empire of Migdal Bavel, Cherry is married to Jerome, a wicked man who makes a diabolical wager with his friend Manfred: if Manfred can seduce Cherry in one hundred nights, he can have his castle - and Cherry. But what Jerome doesn't know is that Cherry is in love with her maid Hero. The two women hatch a plan: Hero, a member of the League of Secret Story Tellers, will distract Manfred by regaling him with a mesmerizing tale each night for 100 nights, keeping him at bay. 

This book is a sort-of-sequel to Greenberg's previous book, The Encyclopedia of Early Earth (which I read last year and also really enjoyed!) in that it takes place in the same world, and has a few of the same characters, but it's also a brand new story with mostly brand new and incredible characters. Just like The Encyclopedia it's got a story-within-a-story structure that means lots of different plots can be interwoven, while all twisting back to and being relevant to the main overarching storyline of Hero and Cherry.

This book was a lot of fun, and beautifully illustrated, but had some quite dark moments which I wasn't expecting at all. Another thing I really enjoyed was how all of the stories in this focused on women, and their places in this fictional world (and so yay for feminism!) and how they had to fight the kinds of discrimination and sexism which still exist today all over the world.

I would recommend if:
     - you want a mix of folklore / almost retellings / stories inspired by mythologies from all over the world
     - you're looking for more LGBTQIA+ reads
    - you like stories about strong women who don't take shit from anyone

I would steer clear if:
     - you hate all graphic novels indiscriminately
     - or you just hate joy

My rating: ★


No comments:

Post a Comment