2016 Book Awards | Part III: Best Books

This is the third and final set of awards! This section covers all of the best books I read in 2016 (eg. Best Stand Alone Book but also Worst Book). Mild spoilers could be ahead!



WORST BOOK

NOMINATED
Agatha H and the Airship City - Phil and Kaja Folgio
The Dress Shop of Dreams - Menna van Praag
Mistress of Greyladies - Anna Jacobs 
A Study in Charlotte - Brittany Cavallaro 
These Vicious Masks - Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas 

WINNER
Heir to Greyladies - Anna Jacobs 


A friend of mine gave me this book (and its sequel) after an internship at its publishers, and warned me as she handed them over that they would be the worst books I'd ever read. She was right. They're absolutely terrible, with pathetic characters, frankly stupid plots, and the writing style of a ten-year-old (one who has a pretty bad writing style). But I couldn't help myself, as she suspected I wouldn't, and I read this book and it's awful sequel, and it proved to me that if this piece of rubbish can get published, anything can.







BEST STAND ALONE BOOK 

NOMINATED
All the Light We Cannot See
The Lake House
Sofia Khan is Not Obliged - Ayisha Malek

WINNER
Touch - Claire North



Touch tells the story of Kepler, someone who flits from body to body as a kind of untethered consciousness. They can't access their new body's memories or experiences, so for instance to find out the name of the person whose skin they're possessing, they'd have to rootle through their own pockets to try and find some ID. Touch is a wonderful combination of a murder mystery, a conspiracy thriller, and an intense character study of humanity itself, and I loved every second of it.










BEST BOOK IN A SERIES 

NOMINATED
A Gathering of Shadows - VE Schwab
Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo 
Queen of Shadows - Sarah J Maas
Scrivener’s Moon - Philip Reeve

WINNER
A Court of Mist and Fury - Sarah J Maas



This was a hard winner to pick, and even though ACOMAF didn't get five stars from me, I had to give it this award. This sequel took everything we knew from A Court of Thorns and Roses and turned it on its head, and then introduced a handful of fantastic new characters, reintroduced the swoon-worthy Rhysand, Lord of the Night Court, and made me fall head over heels for this series. It's maybe the most drastic example I can think of where a sequel is so much better than the first book, and it was fantastic. 










BEST SERIES

NOMINATED
The Infernal Devices - Cassandra Clare
Lady Julia Grey series - Deanna Raybourn

WINNER
Fever Crumb series - Philip Reeve













I finally read the third (and probably final) book of Fever Crumb's adventures (Scrivener's Moon) this year, and I loved it just as much as the first two. Philip Reeve is one of my all time favourite authors, and in my eyes can do no wrong when it comes to his amazing books. I felt like the main character of Fever progressed and developed more in this book than in any of the others, and she's such a peculiar and unexpected kind of character than I enjoyed every second of it. 



BEST AUTHOR

NOMINATED
Claire North (Touch) 
Emma Healey (Elizabeth is Missing) 
Philip Reeve (Scrivener’s Moon) 
Sarah J Maas (A Court of Mist and Fury; Queen of Shadows)

WINNER
VE Schwab (A Gathering of Shadows; This Savage Song)

source


It's strange to think that only two years ago I'd never heard of VE Schwab, when she is now (after I've read four of her novels and given every single one five stars) one of my favourite authors ever. She is an absolute master of her craft, and the two books of hers I read this year are just testaments to that. 








BEST BOOK OF 2016 

NOMINATED










All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
The Lake House - Kate Morton
Queen of Shadows - Sarah J Maas
Scrivener’s Moon - Philip Reeve 
Sofia Khan is Not Obliged - Ayisha Malik
This Savage Song - VE Schwab 
Touch - Claire North 

WINNER
A Gathering of Shadows - VE Schwab


This was a hard one to decide. I've said that already about some of these other awards, but this is actually the one I'm least sure about! That's not to say that I didn't love this book (because I definitely did), but it was much harder to chose it as my favourite because the whole situation is very different to last year. That time round it was obvious that The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August was my favourite read, because it just knocked everything else out of the way and was my favourite by a mile. For the eight books I've listed here, it was a lot, and I mean a lot, harder to pick one out as my overall favourite.

But I have. And it's A Gathering of Shadows. Because (as mentioned above) I love everything VE Schwab writes, so I don't feel too uncertain about this decision. The final book in the Shades of Magic trilody - A Conjuring of Light - comes out in February, so that' less than a two month wait! 



What was your favourite read of 2016? Let me know in the comments!






No comments:

Post a Comment