20 June 2016

Spring 2016 Book Haul

Here are the books I've added to my shelves during this Spring: 



Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel is set in a world wracked by a deadly pandemic, and centres on a small group of characters who are apparently all connected to each other through various twists of fate. It jumps backwards and forwards in time, and every review I've seen of it says it's beautifully written and an all-round amazing read. 

Slade House by David Mitchell is the next David Mitchell book I plan to read. It seems quite atmospheric and creepy, and is basically a haunted house story - but I'm sure it will be full of David Mitchell goodness, with plenty of incredible storytelling and twists and turns. I've read two of his books already (Cloud Atlas and The Bone Clocks) and really liked both of them, so I'm already sure that I'll love this one too. 

This Savage Song by V E Schwab is another book I am 100% sure I'll love. In my eyes, this writer can do no wrong, and I'm currently reading A Gathering of Shadows by her (which is, as I suspected, amazing). This book is the first in a duology, and Goodread describes it as a "dark urban fantasy", which just makes me more excited about it. 

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers has just been getting amazing reviews from everywhere and everyone, and is a science fiction novel with a character driven plot that's set on a spaceship - what more could I want?

Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey was a little of an impulse buy from a charity shop, but I'd kept seeing it being recommended to me on Goodreads, so it was pretty much fate when I walked into the shop and immediately saw it on the shelf in from of me. It's a mystery where the main character Maud's friend goes missing, but Maud suffers from dementia and can't even trust herself. 

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs is something I've been planning on reading for ages - pretty much since I heard of it. And I found it in that same charity shop as Elizabeth is Missing, in hardback, and in pretty good condition, for only £4. It's full of creepy children, strange photographs, and I am intrigued ... 



No comments:

Post a Comment