The Book Sacrifice Tag

This tag is one I've been looking forward to doing for a while (it's not exactly a recent creation) because when I first came across it, I instantly knew what my answers to each of the four questions would be. The tag is all about the bad and disappointing books you've read; the very worst of the worst. It was created by Ariel Bissett, whose original video you can find here


1. An Over-Hyped Book 

Q: Let's start this off with a Zombie Apocalypse! Let's say you're in a book store, just browsing, when BAM! ZOMBIE ATTACK. An announcement comes over the PA System saying that the military has discovered that the zombies' only weakness is over-hyped books. What book that everyone else says in amazing but you really hated do you start chucking at the zombies, knowing that it will count as an over-hyped book and successfully wipe them out?

24424963A: The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
My rating: 

I was really looking forward to reading this book; it was historical fiction, a mystery, and the blurb hinted a little bit towards a supernatural element. What it actually was, was 400 pages of writing that was trying just a little too hard to be fancy and poetic, some truly irritating characters, and what I would never in my wildest dreams call a satisfying conclusion. I still feel like there was something really big that I missed, some explanation I completely overlooked, because I finished the book and immediately thought "That was it?"


2. A Sequel 

Question: Let's say you've just left the salon with a SMASHING new haircut and BOOM: torrential downpour. What sequel are you willing to use as an umbrella to protect yourself? 

13206760Answer: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
My rating: 

Let me just say that this wasn't a bad book per say, it is just (in my opinion) the weakest of the Lunar Chronicles . I heard lots of people saying that the series got better and better, with each book being an improvement on the rest, but for me, that just wasn't the case. I loved Cinder () thought Scarlet was just okay, and Cress was better (), before the series peaked again with Winter ().  So let's just say I was a little disappointed with this book. Cinder is probably one of my all-time favourite characters, and Scarlet just paled in comparison for me. Plus, Wolf got on my nerves from the very start, and continued to do so throughout the rest of the series (I found him so annoying I couldn't help but roll my eyes every time I had to read about him). So though I by no means hate this book, it's just one of my more extreme examples where a sequel is much worse than the first of a series. 


3. A Classic 

Question: Let's say you're in a lecture and your English teacher is going on and on about how this classic changed he world, how it revolutionised literature and you get so sick of it that you chuck the classic right in their face because you know what? This classic is stupid and it's worth detention just to show everyone how you feel. What classic did you chuck?

Answer: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.
My rating: 

This book. It broke my heart. Basically, I saw the theatrical adaptation staring Benedict Cumberbatch and Johnny Lee Miller and absolutely loved it. So I bought the book immediately afterwards and dove straight in, only to discover that I hated it. It was so different to the play - most of the dialogue had been changed, and even the actual ending was different. And the problem with that was the play did it so much better! The novel itself was sooooo boring, and I couldn't help but compare it to the fantastic performance I'd just seen. I also discovered from reading this book that I hate epistolary works (the ones where the story's told through a series of letters / diary entries / whatever). When I read a book, I want to be completely consumed by it, and not be shaken out of the story by the formatting - which is exactly what happened here. I can appreciate what a big deal this book was when it first came out, and why it's still considered a classic today, but I also think it's been completely overtaken by modern science fiction and horror stories, and if you compare it with almost anything else in the genre, it falls short. 


4. Your Least Favourite Book of Life!

Question: Let's say you're hanging out at the library when BAM global warming explodes and the world outside becomes a frozen wasteland. You're trapped and your only chance for survival is to burn a book. What is the book you first run to, your least favourite book of all life; what book do you fully do not regret lighting?


Answer: A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
My Rating: 

I don't think words can capture how much I hated this book. I had to read it in Sixth Form for a piece of English Literature coursework, and found it to be so utterly repulsive I didn't even finish it. Instead, I read the bare minimum needed for my essay, and tried to forget I ever came across it. And that is all. I detest this book.




No comments:

Post a Comment