2015 Book Awards - Part 2: Best Book Qualities

Every year as I read I like “nominate” the books I read for various imaginary book awards, then at the end of the year I finally pick a winner for each category – some with more difficulty than others. Today I’m going to reveal some of the “nominees” and winners of 2015, with a quick explanation to why I chose the victor. (All of these books were read, but not necessarily published, in 2015.) I've divided the awards into three categories; this second one is for best book qualities (such as best cover or twist). Spoilers ahead!


BEST BOOK COVER

NOMINATED:
The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
The Humans by Matt Haig
The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski
Winter by Marissa Meyer

source                                source                              source                                 source                                source



WINNER: Uprooted by Naomi Novik
This book is, by far, the most stunning thing I’ve read this year. The colours, the design, even the title font, are all perfect. It is the first – and only – book I’ve ever been tempted to display on my bookshelf rather than standing it side-to-side with the others. I know it has a different cover in some international editions, and I feel genuinely sorry for the people in these countries who don’t get to enjoy it as I still do.

source


MOST EMOTIONAL BOOK 

NOMINATED:
The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North
Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas
Maus by Art Spiegelman
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler

WINNER: The Humans by Matt Haig
The Humans was the first book I finished in 2015, but it has stuck with me ever since. It’s about an unnamed alien protagonist who is sent to Earth to destroy a breakthrough maths equation. But it is mainly about what it means to be human, and was so beautiful and moving it made me cry, and then start to reassess my own life.

BEST PLOT TWIST / REVEAL MOMENT

NOMINATED: 
Identity of the bride, The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North 
The murderer, Dissolution by C J Samson
“My long name”, The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell 
Character death, Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas 
It's her in disguise!, A Darker Shade of Magic by V E Schwab 
Character death, A Web of Air by Philip Reeve 

WINNER: Fern, We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler 
It’s safe to say I did not see this twist coming. Neither did my mum, who recommended it to me. And oh my goodness, it was a doozy. It was sudden and horrifying and heart breaking, and the rest of the book unravels the consequences of this revelation. 


BEST WORLD BUILDING 

NOMINATED:
The Encyclopaedia of Early Earth by Isabel Greenberg 
The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer 
The Shardlake Mysteries by C J Samson 
Uprooted by Naomi Novik
A Web of Air by Philip Reeve 

WINNER: A Darker Shade of Magic by V E Schwab 
The world in this book (known as Red London) was indeed beautifully built, as so were the other worlds – White London and Grey London. All of them were intriguing and so brilliantly portrayed I kept having to remind myself that two of them were fictional whenever I put down the book. I cannot wait to revisit them in the sequel this year.

BEST WRITING

NOMINATED: 
The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams 
The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
The Martian by Andy Weir
The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski

WINNER: Vicious by V E Schwab 
Vicious was, in short, a gem of a book. I loved every second, from the very first chapter to the very last page. I was so sucked into the story I almost forgot to breath, and was rewarded with an amazing story of superpowers, betrayal, religious mania, and incredible cunning. I am actually still in awe of V E Schwab’s mastery of her craft.


Don't forget to check out Part 1: Best Characters and Part 3: Best Books

No comments:

Post a Comment