11 May 2015

April 2015 Round Up

In April 2015 I read 4 books (which I am very pleased about):

     Dissolution       The Complete Maus   The Hundred Year           Dark Fire
     C J Sansom          Art Spiegelman         Old Man Who            C J Sansom
                                     Climbed Out of the          
                                                            Window and Disappeared   
                                                                  Jonas Jonasson
                                                                     

Two of them (Dissolution and Dark Fire) were part of the Matthew Shardlake murder-mystery series by C J Sansom, which I thought were both very good. There were tonnes of interesting characters, plot twists, and genuinely terrifying moments I wasn't expecting. The books are set in the mid-1500s, which I found really interesting, and loved reading about life back then. Overall I liked the first one better, as the second felt a little like it was trying too hard, and the inclusion of too many real characters made it feel a little stinted by what could and couldn't actually happen.


I read The Complete Maus for part of university module, but had actually been planning on reading it a long time before. And it was amazing! It was utterly fantastic; gut-wrenchingly sad and awful in parts, and genuinely funny and surprising in others, it is an amazing book, and one I think everyone should read at some point in their lives.

The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared is as amazing and eccentric as its title would suggest. It tells the story of Allan Karlson, a hundred-year-old man who escapes from an old people's home the morning of this birthday, and has played a large role in the history of the twentieth century. It was an utterly charming book which made me laugh, and the characters were delightful. It was my favourite book of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment